Sunday, March 9, 2014

[Review+Swatch] China Glaze City Flourish for Spring 2014


Happy Sunday! Did everyone (in the States) move their clocks forward? I love that there's more sun, but it always sucks losing that hour. Anyway, now that it feels like we're really getting into spring, here's a collection from China Glaze that I think you'll appreciate. I have six of the twelve shades from the new City Flourish collection, which features a mix of both pastel and neon colors!


Don't Honk Your Thorn, 3 coats: light nude with subtle silver shimmer. Sometimes, light nudes can look weird on me, but this one was very flattering. I had no issues with the formula - application was easy and even.



Spring In My Step, 3 coats: baby pink creme. It's a peachy-pink, which I love, since pale pinks generally seem to lean cool. The warmer undertones makes this light pink much easier for me to pull off. The formula, however, leaves something to be desired. Application is streaky and requires the third coat for the color to be even.



In A Lily Bit, 3 coats: pale pastel lilac creme. This color's a bit tricky. I wore it as a mani and noticed it can lean more pink or purple depending on the lighting. For my mani, I used 2 medium coats and thought it looked passable. But for my swatch, I'm wearing 3 thin coats. Formula-wise, I had no issues. Love this color!



What A Pansy, 3 coats: purple leaning periwinkle creme. I think it's a tad darker than what my pictures show. Lovely color and great formula.



Petal To The Metal, 3 coats: hot coral pink creme. It's not as exuberantly bright as a neon, but it gets pretty close. The bottle color is actually closer to what it really looks like. It's looking a bit washed out on my nails. I found application easy and opacity good at two coats. It dries down to a semi-matte finish, so if you want it to be shiny, you'll need a top coat.



Thistle Do Nicely, 3 coats: bright neon pink creme. When I say bright, I really mean bright to the 100th power. You could flag a plane with this color. It's also super hard to capture, since my camera kept freaking out. Haha, but I'd say the bottle color is pretty accurate, especially the darker parts on the bottle. I found it kinda streaky, but I think the color more than makes up for it. This too dries down to a semi-matte finish.


Verdict: I love that this collection includes neons as well the customary pastels and brights. For the most part, the formulas are pretty average, generally taking 3 coats for full opacity. It should be noted that a few of the colors are streaky as well. With that said, I think the actual colors are great! My favorites are In A Lily Bit, Petal To The Metal, and Thistle Do Nicely. But I honestly liked them all.

Availability: China Glaze City Flourish is now available at fine salons and professional beauty supply stores nationwide. Retail prices may vary. At Ulta, you can buy them for $7.99 each. At Sally Beauty Supply, they retail for $5.99/$6.79 (with/without Beauty Club Card).

Have you tried any of these yet? Let me know in the comments below! I think I'm also going to get Lotus Begin and Grass Is Lime Greener. Seriously, the green looks so swoon worthy! *drool* :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please do not leave any links or inappropriate comments, as they will be deleted. Otherwise, I appreciate and read every single comment, so please don't be shy! :)